Former U.S. President Donald Trump leaves Trump Tower in Manhattan on May 18, 2021 in New York City.
James Devaney | GC Images | Getty Images
Former President Donald Trump’s blog — a webpage where he shared statements after larger social media companies banned him from their platforms — has been permanently shut down, his spokesman said Wednesday.
The page, “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump,” has been scrubbed from Trump’s website and “will not be returning,” his senior aide Jason Miller told CNBC.
“It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on,” Miller said in email correspondence.
Read more of CNBC’s politics coverage:
He declined to provide additional details about those efforts.
“Hoping to have more information on the broader efforts soon, but I do not have a precise awareness of timing,” Miller said.
Facebook and Twitter both banned Trump from posting on their platforms after Jan. 6, when a mob of the then-president’s supporters violently invaded the U.S. Capitol, forcing a joint session of Congress into hiding. Trump, who never conceded to President Joe Biden, repeatedly and falsely claimed on social media after the Nov. 3 election that the race had been stolen from him by widespread fraud.
Trump and his allies have long accused social media giants of being tainted by political bias and prone to censoring conservatives. The former president has teased the rollout of an alternative platform.
But the blog, unveiled last month and originally billed as a new “communications platform,” seemed ill-equipped to take on largest social media companies.
Miller clarified at the time — on Twitter — that the “Desk” page was “a great resource” to find Trump’s statements, “but this is not a new social media platform.”
This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.